How the coat was saved

The blue coat was given to the Royal Collections in 1878 by Postmaster Castberg, whose father had been the young Prince Frederik’s valet and doctor in the years when the accident occurred. The doctor may himself have ordered the coat’s alteration in order to spare the injured hand, and then saved it himself when it was no longer needed. The doctor’s son realized its importance when a great wave of national romanticism- and renewed cultivation of the monarchy - spread over Denmark after the loss of Southern Jutland in 1864. In recent years, the small coat has only been exhibited twice, for short periods, and has thus probably not inspired other young princes’ fantasies of bravery – but it is still a touching relic of solicitude for an injured, lonely young prince.

 

Scroll to top